Vacasa started with just one home and an idea: to bring homeowners and renters together with smart technology and caring local teams. Today, we're the largest full-service vacation rental company in the US thanks to the people who give us their best every day. You'll fit right in here if you're curious, collaborative, innovative, and thrive in a rapid-growth environment. Demand for travel is strongly resurgent, and Vacasa is in a unique position for success in 2021 and beyond.
Our technology team is global (Portland, Boise, Santiago and Auckland) and always innovating. The Auckland office was started to help us launch world class mobile apps, today we're helping build several critical components of the Vacasa platform covering web, mobile and backend.
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced engineer and manager to lead a cross-functional team within our Owner Experience group, delivering modern web applications and APIs that drive the user experience of Vacasa’s homeowners.
An ideal candidate for this role will be comfortable setting architectural direction for services owned and operated by the team, skilled at building consensus within the team on standards for software craftsmanship and code quality, and passionate about the growth and mentorship of those on the team.
What you'll do:
- Motivate your team to deliver, and continuously improve themselves, be an ambassador for NZ to global product, design & engineering teams
- Lead by example, keep your hands dirty writing code
- Partner closely with a dedicated product manager, operating in an agile environment to deliver software to production with high frequency
- Manage a cross-functional team of engineers, with accountability for the team’s output and growth
- Provide guidance and mentorship to engineers on the team, from those in early stages of their career to those on a leadership development track
- Design and build products, applying current technology thinking and patterns to our business problems
- Review the team’s work and provide recommendations via code reviews and discussion
- Build toward higher quality standards and work with the team to create robust testing capabilities
- Ensure appropriate monitoring and instrumentation for production systems
- Explore new technologies and validate concepts to help the team choose the right tools for the job
- Foster a healthy and collaborative team culture where you lead by example, operate with empathy and understanding, and provide space for all team members to contribute and grow
- Other duties, as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrable experience delivering software products used in real-world environments
- Five years experience in a senior engineering role, working with a cross-functional team
- 1-2 years experience managing / mentoring engineers
- Experience facilitating technical discussions and discovery that lead to informed decisions and solutions
- Experience designing systems for the cloud, preferably AWS + Serverless
Benefits and perks
- The latest tools & technology - a shiny MacBook Pro
- A small, experienced team who love writing code more than meetings
- Central office location and open to work from home arrangements - we've been doing this all along, it won't stop post-COVID
We'll be very interested for you to show us what you've been up to; show us your contributions on GitHub or cool side projects.
If you are interested in seeing what a role with us might look like, feel free to get in touch for a friendly chat to find out more!
Vacasa is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We do not discriminate against applicants based upon race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or other classes protected by applicable law. Veterans are encouraged.
Vacasa is committed to maintaining a safe and productive work environment. Possession, use, or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs in the workplace is prohibited.