Sr Machine Learning Engineer
We started with just one home and an idea: to bring homeowners and renters together with smart technology and caring local teams. Today, we’re the largest full-service vacation rental company in North America thanks to the people who give us their best every day. You’ll fit right in here if you’re curious, entrepreneurial, and thrive in a rapid-growth environment.
What we’re looking for
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer at Vacasa, you will join a nimble, cross-functional team of bright machine learning engineers and data scientists. This team has a high impact on company revenue and cost reduction.
You will productionize ML models in the cloud using Python, and adapt feature engineering techniques to both batch and real-time pipelines. This includes writing robust, maintainable, and reliable systems with validation, monitoring, metrics, for both internal and external customers.
As a senior machine learning engineer, you will be expected to lead initiatives; define best practices for engineering, architecture and Data Science; be a leader for the team and mentor up-and-coming talent; set an example of conduct through cross-team collaboration; communicate to stakeholders; and balance engineering concerns with business needs. You will be accountable for selecting technologies, and defining patterns that will be used across machine learning projects.
Vacasa’s machine learning and data science research is broad. We train dozens of models, from dynamic daily pricing for all units, to probability models that are used throughout the company. There’s potential to explore and implement recommender systems, NLP techniques, and neural networks. Vacasa has hundreds of millions of records for model training. Help us discover value in our data and bring it to customers!
What you'll do
- Develop and productionize machine learning models using AWS, Python 3, CI/CD, and Terraform.
- Write maintainable, reliable, and robust pipelines complete with unit and integration tests.
- Contribute to all phases of development and delivery, including on-call rotation (currently at a bi-weekly basis).
- Develop dashboards to monitor pipeline health, and alert on key metrics.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of engineers, QA, data scientists, and Product.
- Continually update your engineering skills using modern tools and techniques.
- Deliver results to stakeholders on time and within budget.
- Conduct code reviews, peer design, and demonstrate respectful, effective communication.
- Debug difficult problems across multiple projects, and become an expert in MLOps.
- Lead large-scale initiatives, provide feedback, and mentor other team members.
- Define repeatable architectural patterns for large-scale, adaptive, secure, performant systems.
- Select technologies, guide technical solutions, and produce high quality documentation.
- Interact with stakeholders to help define requirements for tasks and projects.
Skills you'll need
- 6+ years of software engineering and data science, including 2+ years of machine learning engineering or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms, including supervised and unsupervised.
- RDBMS and ETL experience, data warehouse experience.
- Ability to function in a “big data” environment such as Apache Spark.
- Familiarity with the AWS ecosystem and tools such as S3, Glue, or SageMaker.
- Strong Python experience.
- Experience writing infrastructure as code, Terraform is a plus.
- Ability to work under ambiguous environments – independently ask questions to derive ACs and requirements
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Reliable internet connection, must meet a minimum of 50 mbps
Ability to work from home and resides in one of the followings states: AK, AL, AZ, CA, CO, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, or WY
You’ll be working in your home office setting. We hold virtual training sessions and weekly team meeting. Occasional offsite team meetings in your region or our HQ locations. Requires frequent, repetitive use of a computer, phone, and office equipment. Requires patient, professional communication with prospective clients, and the ability to build confidence with prospects.
- Standard workweek (Monday - Friday)
- 8am-5pm; after 5pm as needed by project/on-call responsibilities; flexible with exact timing given distributed nature of our team
- Travel required for less than 10% of the time
- This job description does not identify every requirement of the position. Vacasa may change position requirements, responsibilities, and work environment at any time with or without notice.
- $170000 - $190000 / year
What you’ll get
- Health/dental/vision insurance - employee & family coverage options
- Employer Sponsored & Voluntary Supplemental Benefits
- 401K retirement savings plan with immediate 100% company match on the first 6% you contribute
- Health & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Flexible vacation time
- Paid sick days and holidays
- Paid parental leave after one year of tenure
- Employee Assistance Program
- Career advancement opportunities
- Employee discounts and
- All the equipment you’ll need to be successful
- Great colleagues and culture
Please visit our careers page to review our full benefits offerings
Vacasa is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We do not discriminate against applicants based upon race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or other classes protected by applicable law. Veterans are encouraged.
Vacasa is committed to maintaining a safe and productive work environment. Possession, use, or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs in the workplace is prohibited.
An offer of employment for this role will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.