Senior QA Engineer, Machine Learning
We started with just one home and an idea: to bring homeowners and renters together with smart technology and caring local teams. Today, we’re the largest full-service vacation rental company in North America thanks to the people who give us their best every day. You’ll fit right in here if you’re curious, entrepreneurial, and thrive in a rapid-growth environment.
Why Engineering at Vacasa
We build the tools that allow other departments to succeed. We’re constantly experimenting and fine-tuning our products. We value stability, security, and scalability. Our favorite word is autonomy—we want everyone to have a voice.
What we’re looking for
As a Sr Quality Engineer in ML at Vacasa, you will develop testing strategies for machine learning pipelines. Models are trained by our data scientists, and expected output for a given input isn’t always known. You should be comfortable with both white-box and black-box testing. Engineers at Vacasa are responsible for writing their own unit tests, but will defer to QA for end-to-end integration testing tools and strategies. You will set up automation infrastructure, and make the final call when a given project is ready for production.
You will be expected to lead initiatives, champion best practices for QA, mentor up-and-coming talent, set an example of conduct through cross-team collaboration, communicate to stakeholders, and balance QA concerns with business needs.
What you'll do
- Formulate testing strategies for individual components and entire ML systems.
- Continuously learning about the environment, monitor, and evaluate the health of ML pipelines.
- Create alerting and monitoring to quickly pinpoint issues.
- Create Airflow DAGs and test suites, using data testing frameworks such as Great Expectations.
- Code reviews and promotion through CI/CD pipelines, and ad hoc.
- Participate in regular standup, planning, and retrospective meetings.
- Write defect reports for quality issues and manage them to resolution.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest data science testing techniques and tools.
- Collaborate with MLEs and DS to create testing strategies that ensure data and software quality.
- Co-lead projects, and mentor junior team members.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Skills you'll need
- 4+ years experience in automating and maintaining test automation.
- Experience working within an AWS environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and experience writing integration test plans.
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills with attention to detail.
- Experience with CI/CD tools and processes.
- Well-versed in modern application development practices (e.g., Scrum, Kanban).
- Experience testing machine learning pipelines is a plus.
- Python and SQL experience is a plus.
- Ability to work in office 4 days / week with the option to work from home 1 day / week
- The benefit of a hybrid schedule requires a reliable internet connection and must meet a minimum of 50 mbps
What you’ll get
- Competitive salary
- Ability to participate in our Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Meal vouchers
- Career advancement opportunities
- Employee discounts
- All the equipment you’ll need to be successful
- Great colleagues and culture
Vacasa is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We do not discriminate against applicants based upon race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or other classes protected by applicable law. Veterans are encouraged.
Vacasa is committed to maintaining a safe and productive work environment. Possession, use, or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs in the workplace is prohibited.
An offer of employment for this role will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and/or OFAC screening.