Senior Engineering Manager, Data Science & ML
We started with just one home and an idea: to bring homeowners and renters together with smart technology and caring local teams. Today, we’re the largest full-service vacation rental company in North America thanks to the people who give us their best every day. You’ll fit right in here if you’re curious, entrepreneurial, and thrive in a rapid-growth environment.
Why Engineering at Vacasa
We build the tools that allow other departments to succeed. We’re constantly experimenting and fine-tuning our products. We value stability, security, and scalability. Our favorite word is autonomy—we want everyone to have a voice.
What we’re looking for
As an Engineering Manager in Data Science and Machine Learning at Vacasa, you will lead a nimble, cross-functional team of bright machine learning engineers and data scientists. This team has a high impact on company revenue and cost reduction. You will lead pods that research, develop, and deploy ML models in the cloud using Python, and adapt feature engineering techniques to both batch and real-time pipelines. This includes writing robust, maintainable, and reliable systems with validation, monitoring, metrics, for both internal and external customers. You will be expected to lead, mentor, motivate, and set the tone for team culture. You will make hiring decisions, conduct 1:1s, communicate performance evaluations, and resolve conflicts. You will define best practices for engineering and architecture, mentor up-and-coming talent, set an example of conduct through cross-team collaboration, communicate to stakeholders, and balance engineering concerns with business needs. You will be accountable for selecting technologies, and defining patterns that will be used across machine learning projects.
Vacasa’s machine learning and data science research is broad. We train dozens of models, from dynamic daily pricing for all units, to probability models that are used throughout the company. There’s potential to explore and implement recommender systems, NLP techniques, and neural networks. Vacasa has hundreds of millions of records for model training. Help us discover value in our data and bring it to customers!
What you'll do
- Hire, manage, inspire, provide feedback, and mentor your team.
- Lead large-scale initiatives, and clarify ambiguous requirements.
- Define repeatable architectural patterns for large-scale, adaptive, secure, performant systems.
- Select technologies, guide technical solutions, and produce high quality documentation.
- Productionize machine learning models using AWS, Python 3, CI/CD, and Terraform.
- Write maintainable, reliable, and robust pipelines complete with unit and integration tests.
- Contribute to all phases of development and delivery.
- Develop dashboards to monitor pipeline health, and alert on key metrics.
- Continually update your engineering skills using modern tools and techniques.
- Deliver and present results to stakeholders on time and within budget.
- Conduct code reviews, peer design, and demonstrate respectful, effective communication.
- Debug difficult problems across multiple projects, and become an expert in MLOps.
Skills you'll need
- 6+ years of software engineering and/or data science, including 2+ years of management or equivalent experience.
- Strong Python experience.
- RDBMS SQL experience.
- Working knowledge of machine learning algorithms, including supervised, unsupervised, neural network, regression, and tree-based approaches.
- Familiarity with AWS tools such as SageMaker, EMR (Spark), Lambda, and Fargate a plus.
- Experience writing infrastructure as code, Terraform is a plus.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Ability to work in office 4 days / week with the option to work from home 1 day / week
- The benefit of a hybrid schedule requires a reliable internet connection and must meet a minimum of 50 mbps
What you’ll get
- Competitive salary
- Ability to participate in our Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Meal vouchers
- Career advancement opportunities
- Employee discounts
- All the equipment you’ll need to be successful
- Great colleagues and culture
Vacasa is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We do not discriminate against applicants based upon race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or other classes protected by applicable law. Veterans are encouraged.
Vacasa is committed to maintaining a safe and productive work environment. Possession, use, or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs in the workplace is prohibited.
An offer of employment for this role will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and/or OFAC screening.