Team Lead Backend Engineer (Kotlin/Groovy/Java) - remote possible
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2023
Help us bring people and businesses together
Our SaaS platform enables multi-location brands and businesses to boost their online presence. From big to small, from Adidas to ZenPark, our client base contains some of your favourite brands as well, we bet.
The Past, Present & Future
In 2013, Uberall was born out of the vision by longtime friends and business partners David Federhen and Florian Hübner. They wanted to bridge the online and offline world more effectively, so companies could generate new customers, build customer relationships and increase their sales. They created a platform that would connect companies with local customers through search and discovery, engagement and conversion.
In July 2021 we acquired one of the most successful location marketing platforms in the US, MomentFeed, and raised a series C funding round of $115m. We plan to seize on this momentum to rapidly expand in North America and become the undisputed global leader in this space. This role is pivotal to us executing on this journey!!
You and us
Over 400 Uberallers, with 50+ different nationalities, live and breathe our three core values:
🌵 GROW TOGETHER
⛰ DEMONSTRATE PASSION & PERFORMANCE
✊ BE BOLD & DRIVE CHANGE
So, what are you waiting for? If you're passionate, driven, and ready to be bold, we want you on our team! Apply now and let's grow together.🚀
For our role as Team Lead Backend Engineering, we are looking for a people-oriented lead to complement the Social Squad skillset. A combination of a strong technical background with a strong set of soft skills. Managing and leading a large squad (7 people) with a 60/40 split between coding and management and reporting directly to the Engineering Director.
If you want to gain some more insights from two of our backend engineers: https://youtu.be/koxZ_rq-I_E
- You will define the vision for your team members, support them in achieving their goals, and lead the team to hit product milestones on time and stable
- You will contribute as an engineer and member of the squad: write code, work on features and bugs, review others’ code, etc.
- You will work closely with Product and Design to develop and implement complex new features and products, furthermore being engaged in feature discussions, product planning, collaboration across teams and departments
- You will have a high-level overview of the squad’s work and progress, identifying areas of improvement, mentoring squad members, and ensuring the squad works as a team toward a collective goal
- You will continuously monitor the engagement, happiness, and productivity of team members by providing constructive feedback regularly to support them to grow in their careers
- You will collaborate with other Squad Leads to continually define and enact best practices as a manager
- You are a role model embodying the cultural behaviours Uberall expects, seeing growth as mutually beneficial, being passionate about what you and your team are doing and not being afraid of change, seeing it as an opportunity rather than a threat
- You will be closely involved with the hiring process to ensure we find the right people for Uberall
- You are a strong hacker and a people person who combines extensive experience with technologies like Kotlin, Groovy, or Java with the ability to lead, coach, and enhance team performance
- You have a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience, including 1-2 years of experience in leading a team
- You have experience working with distributed systems, using microservices to scale our systems
- You showcase a deep knowledge of MySQL, Redis, and ideally, Elastic Search when working with data-intensive applications
- You are able to clearly communicate technical designs and tradeoffs with senior engineers, senior management, and product managers to ensure business alignment with technical goals
- You have the ability to balance the business's needs with considerations for technical debt
- You help the team execute on the product roadmap while considering the long-term health of the system
- You worked with 3rd party API integrations (it’s a plus)
- You are currently residing in Spain. If you live near Barcelona, feel free to pop by our office, however, you can work remotely in Spain as well
What we offer:
💜 A mission with meaning and purpose At Uberall, we foster genuine connections between local businesses and people. Our diverse team of over 400 people working in 30 different countries allows us to win together with our partners, co-workers, and customers. Speaking of our customers, they’re some of the most recognizable businesses in the world.
😁 A truly human culture We’re famous for our culture. Uberallers live by our values of mutual respect and boldness. We’re open, collaborative risk-takers with a whole lot of passion and grit.
🤸🏽♀️ Flexibility to fit your lifestyle Want to come to an office for collaboration? We’ve got space for you in Berlin, Amsterdam, Detroit, and London. Prefer to work remotely? Fine by us! Bonus points if we meet your pets in a video call. If working from another country is legally possible for you and within a reasonable time zone, we happily support work-ations.
💸 A piece of the pie Our pay & perks are competitive, and you better believe we review them on the regular to make sure they stay that way. We grow together, so of course all Uberallers are part of our long-term incentive program through VSOP/ESOP.
♺ Emotional and intellectual connection Events and alignment sessions - YES and YES. With the team, cross-functions, regional, you name it - we love bringing people together. Uberallers share a LOT of hobbies. Whatever you’re into – reading books, baking, heavy metal, fostering kittens . . . you’ll find kindred spirits on our team.
🧘 Health and Wellness We prioritize your wellness with generous holiday time, paid parental and circumstantial leave, and individualized health and wellness opportunities depending on your location.
⭐️ All-access pass Get immersed in Uberall from day one. Your onboarding is packed with a deep dive into our values, insights into all our departments, and a chance to ask the CEO anything. We come together monthly for our town hall and product showroom so you’re always in the know.
🌵 Everyday growth We support you on your non-stop learning journey. We offer development dialogues, live workshops on topics like resilience and feedback, and a Leadership Academy to make sure our leaders have all the tools to bring out the very best in teams. Need to improve your language skills? We have German and business English classes, and virtual coffee chats in 7 different languages.
🖥 Top-of-the-line tech MacBook Pro, magic mouse, 2nd screen . . . Need anything else? Let the People & Culture team know.
Remember our "Grow Together" value from the beginning of the ad?
We mean it.
Everything starts with getting in touch. The best way to express your interest is by applying online. We will be carefully reading your profile and can't wait to hear from you.
In the meantime, let our "life@uberall" social accounts give you some real life impressions.
See more open positions at Uberall
Something looks off?