Mixbook is an award-winning design platform giving consumers unrivaled creative freedom to design and share one-of-a-kind stories, transforming the lives of more than 6M people. Today, we are the #1 rated photo book service in the US with 26K 5-star reviews and a profitable, growing business. Customers love Mixbook for our powerful and intuitive editor, superb quality, designer themes, and our fanatical customer service.
Founded by two Inc 30 Under 30 entrepreneurs from UC Berkeley California, Mixbook has been featured on the Today Show, Good Morning America, TechCrunch, The Verge, Washington Post, New York Times, and many other global media outlets.
Join Mixbook, a thriving and innovative leader in Storytelling space. We're in search of an exceptional Controller to become a cornerstone of our Finance team, reporting directly to the Senior Director of Finance. This isn't just a job; it's a pivotal role that will sculpt the financial infrastructure supporting our rapid expansion. As the Controller, you will be the mastermind behind planning, directing, and orchestrating all accounting operational functions at Mixbook. Your expertise will not only safeguard our financial health and compliance with GAAP but will also drive a relentless pursuit of process excellence.
Location: US-based remote (Quarterly travel to San Francisco Bay Area required)
Work Hours: Must be available for Zoom meetings between 9am and 3pm Pacific
What You’ll Do
This position offers the unique opportunity to design scalable financial operations that will be the backbone of Mixbook's growth trajectory. As our company continues to expand rapidly, your expertise will be instrumental in crafting financial systems and processes that can seamlessly adapt to the evolving needs of our organization. You'll have the chance to architect efficient accounting functions, ensuring that our financial infrastructure remains agile and responsive to the dynamic nature of our industry. This isn't just about managing numbers; it's about building the financial engine that powers our journey towards greater success, making your role at Mixbook both challenging and incredibly rewarding.
High level objectives:
- Streamline Monthly Close: Expedite the monthly financial close process, aiming to reduce it from the current 4 days to a more efficient 2 days through automation. Your expertise will be pivotal in achieving this efficiency, ensuring timely financial reporting and decision-making.
- Policy Development: Lead the development of essential financial policies, including those related to travel, expenses, and contractor management. These policies will provide clear guidelines and ensure compliance across the organization, contributing to financial transparency and accountability.
- System Scalability Assessment: Evaluate our existing financial systems to determine their scalability. Identify areas where improvements or upgrades are needed to support Mixbook's growth trajectory. Your insights will help us maintain agility as we expand.
- Cost Optimization and Profitability: Play a critical role in identifying opportunities for cost savings and profitability improvements within Mixbook's financial operations. Your analytical skills will be essential in enhancing our financial performance and ensuring sustainable growth.
- Accounting Operations: Oversee day-to-day operations of the accounting department, ensuring adherence to accounting principles and standards.
- Vendor and Financial Functions: Act as the initial point of contact for outsourced vendors and financial functions; escalate when necessary.
- Billing Function: Assist in building, executing, and managing scalable billing functions as the company scales.
- Financial Policies: Design and enforce a documented system of accounting policies and procedures; issue timely and complete financial statements.
- Financial Controls: Maintain the chart of accounts, an orderly accounting filing system, and controls over accounting transactions.
- Cash Flow Management: Ensure timely payment of accounts payable, prompt collection of accounts receivable, and accurate payroll processing.
- Financial Analysis: Provide financial analyses, particularly for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Financial Metrics: Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics, assist in financial planning, and recommend benchmarks.
- Budgeting: Partner with Finance on annual budgets and forecasts; calculate variances and report significant issues.
- Audit and Compliance: Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report, work with external auditors for annual audits, monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants, ensure compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings; maintain a thorough understanding of rules and regulations that may impact the business.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related program.
- 8+ years of progressive experience in small-to-medium businesses or divisions of larger corporations, preferably in consumer, e-commerce, retail, or SaaS industries.
- Either an Active or previously held CPA license or heavy Technical Accounting experience.
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment is a must.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to build and maintain key business relationships.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to convey complex ideas clearly.
- Leadership experience and a desire to manage a team.
What You’ll Enjoy
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage, including fully-covered premiums for you and your family
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave for birthing parents and 12 weeks for non-birthing parents
- Unlimited paid time off (plus vacation bonuses!) and flexible schedules
- $2,000 per year for external learning and development
- 401k + match, monthly events, travel opportunities, and more
Our mission is to empower people to be creative and connect deeply with the ones they love.
Unlike many growth companies, we have invested deeply in culture. Organizational health is central to our long-term strategy – we believe that when we love our people, they will love our customers, and our customers will love our business. We’ve adopted Patrick Lencioni’s principles from his book, “The Advantage”, and work diligently to foster a healthy environment - characterized by high morale + productivity, low turnover, and minimal politics + confusion. Our team is built on a foundation of vulnerability-based trust, engaging in constructive conflict, focusing on results and the following core values:
- Scrappy (Act like an entrepreneur)
- Caring (Heart of empathy)
- Craftsmanship (Spirit of excellence)
If you’re a candidate who values a healthy, thriving organizational culture and understands the importance of actively contributing to it, we invite you to apply.