The Financial Accountant supports the general accounting operations by processing and verifying our financial activities. Reporting to the Controller, the Financial Accountant is responsible for daily accounting functions such as maintaining accounts receivable and accounts payable, performing financial reconciliations, and recording journal entries. The Financial Accountant is also responsible for compiling financial reports and analyzing financial results. Working closely with key internal and external stakeholders, the Financial Accountant will support to ensure financial activities are processed accurately and provide relevant reporting.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Perform daily accounting including but not limited to: invoicing, preparing journal entries and reconciliations, capital asset management, and SaaS revenue recognition.
- Monitor day-to-day cash flow to ensure vendors are paid and all receivables are collected on a timely basis.
- Perform various tasks ranging from routine close procedures to ad-hoc projects, including but not limited to financial modelling, financial metric reporting, and presentations.
- Support the month-end/quarter-end and year-end financial closing.
- Work on preparation of documentation needed for audit process, as it relates to the financial and risk areas of the company.
- Preparing GST and other sales tax returns on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Aiding in grant applications and reporting.
- Support with the management of a budget, providing insights about variances between actuals and budget on a monthly basis.
- Ensure fair application of all financial policies to staff.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or relevant.
- CPA designation, or in the process of obtaining the designation.
- 2+ years of accounting experience, with 1 year post designation experience is an asset.
- Experience in small to mid-sized organization, with a SaaS business model is an asset.
- Hands-on and proactive approach to problem solving, in addition to being highly detail-oriented and the ability to multitask.
- Experience with budget creation.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and other applications related to finance and accounting.
- Advanced knowledge in Excel.
- Strong communicator, and established skills in accuracy, organization, and working in a high-volume environment.
- Extended hours sitting at a desk.
- Using computers, printers, scanners, and other office equipment.
- May require working evenings and weekends.
- May require travel.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to access various departments of a given location.
Why work for headversity?
- In addition to working with a great team, we also offer the following perks:
- Full health and dental benefits from 1st day of employment
- Flexible Spending Account
- Starting 4 weeks' vacation: 3 weeks your choice and 1 over the Christmas to New Years break
- Hybrid work in Calgary
- Learning and Development opportunities
- Access to headversity to help build your personal resilience
headversity is an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
If you have a disability or special needs requiring accommodation for an interview or workplace, please let our Human Resources Department know.