Senior Software Engineer - Databases
From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
About the Role
We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our core platform team and perform a healthy mix of design and implementation tasks to advance the technical foundation behind the Fivetran product offering.
As an engineer in the Database Group, focusing on capturing data from relational databases, you will contribute to the entire software development lifecycle for the capabilities critical to making our largest enterprise customers successful. You will collaborate with engineers across the engineering organization as we identify opportunities for product improvements. You will be responsible for ensuring the technical excellence of your team and own services by reviewing code and contributing to architectural designs.
A successful candidate will be humble enough to collect diverse input and build consensus, experienced and confident enough to be decisive when needed, and practical enough to build and iterate on the system while it's in production.
This is a full-time position based out of our Amsterdam office.
Technologies You’ll Use
- C, Google BigQuery, Snowflake,
- MS SQL Server, SAP HANA, Azure, AWS.
What You’ll Do
- Write and test code.
- Create technical specifications.
- Review and approve technical design documents and pull requests.
- Mentor other members of the team and assist with their challenges.
- Care and take ownership of our product platform, and leverage your skills towards improving code quality by identifying issues, testing, and maintaining the code.
- Collaborate with a small but mighty core team and a broader set of stakeholders.
- Work across the project lifecycle: requirements, design, prototype, implementation, review, release, and monitoring.
Skills We’re Looking For
- Experience in C
- Experience in Relational Databases, SQL language, and DBMS call-level interfaces (e.g. ODBC or Oracle OCI).
- Experience with data replication, ETL/ELT tools, cloud and software-defined infrastructure tools (AWS Cloud Formation, Kubernetes, Docker), API technologies and analytics is a plus.
- You know how to design and code systems and software that is effective, intuitive, easy to operate, and elegantly simple.
- You know complex structures, object orientation, exceptions, and memory management techniques.
- You are adaptable and have the willingness to learn new skills while being flexible to work within new environments.
- Knowledge of SQL Server and SAP HANA is a strong plus.
- Java experience
- A strong plus is knowledge of DBMS internals, such as the transaction logging system.
- You are confident diving into the nitty-gritty innards of database systems.
Perks and Benefits
- 100% employer-paid medical insurance*
- Generous paid time-off policy (PTO), plus paid sick time, inclusive parental leave policy, holidays, and volunteer days off
- RSU stock grants
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours, free food, and fun team building activities
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Recharge, reenergize, and pursue personal and professional goals with a 30 day paid leave after 5 years
*may vary by country - please reach out to your recruiter for more information
To learn more about Fivetran's benefits by region - click here.
We’re honored to be valued at over $5.6 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Get Stuck In, Do the Right Thing, and One Team, One Dream. Read about us in Forbes.
Fivetran brings together high-quality talent across the globe to make data access as easy and reliable as electricity for our customers. We value and recognize that our customers benefit from having innovative teams made of people from many backgrounds, experiences and identities. Fivetran promotes diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging through attracting, recruiting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, not only because it is the right thing to do, but because it helps us build a world-class company to better serve our customers, our people and our communities.
To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.