Staff Software Engineer - Databases
From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
About the Role
Fivetran is looking for a Staff Software Engineer enthusiastic to join our fast-growing company. As a part of the Oracle Connector Team, you will be responsible to help build new features of our data pipeline service, help improve our software architecture, and maintain reliable operation of the service. We're looking for someone who wants to learn and apply the key values that make our product great, dive deep into complex investigations into data replication and build a world class ELT solution for Oracle systems.
Fivetran is the epitome of data-driven-development, our engineering team is focused on building a world class product that:
- Facilitates Data Analytics: join our mission to reliably deliver best-in class schemas, and clean data, designed to be intuitively useful to analysts.
- Contributes to our Community: help develop tools like Data Lakes, SQL-based Transformations, and schema explorers to empower analysts to choose the best tools, and to make those tools more powerful.
- Absolutely Dependable: work to make Fivetran the most reliable and secure component of our customers’ data infrastructure.
- We emphasize using no-nonsense tools, and take great pride in the simplicity and effectiveness of the systems we build. Our back-end is built on Java, Postgres, and Kubernetes, and our front-end is built on React and Typescript.
This is a full-time position based out of our Novi Sad, Serbia office.
Technologies You’ll Use
- Java, C, Oracle, SQL, Kubernetes
What You’ll Do
- Dive deep into data replication debugging, analyzing existing code that is in use by hundreds of customers today. Some clients are operating the largest Oracle clusters in the world.
- Analyze new features that are introduced by Oracle in recent releases and determine how to develop supporting features
- Contribute to the efforts to the maintenance and improvement of existing connectors; call for improvement in all areas of Fivetran's codebase and infrastructure
- Be a part of the process to move a high performance client side service to the cloud and operate at scale
- Develop software designs and technical roadmap for the team
- Contribute to hiring by participating in the interview process
Skills We’re Looking For
- 10+ years programming in C and Java languages
- Writes well-structured and performant code
- Be able to dive into code that has been previously written and suggest improvements
- Understand and can explain how to build high performance systems and processes
- Able to define project requirements and be proficient at designing software and infrastructure
- Enjoy mentoring and growing junior develops
- Have an analytical mindset that helps you identify design flaws in existing systems and come up with improvements
- Experience understanding customer requirements and/or problems and breaking them down into engineering tasks
- Reverse Engineering
- Previous experience working in linux kernel or device driver development
- Experience in working with open source projects with other collaborators
- Experience in data processing (ETL, ELT) and/or cloud-based platforms
- Experience in designing and developing file, event, application, or database connectors
- Experienced working in a cloud environment utilizing AWS, GCP, Kubernetes, Docker, CircleCI, or similar technologies
Perks and Benefits
- 100% employer-paid medical insurance*
- Generous paid time-off policy (PTO), plus paid sick time, inclusive parental leave policy, holidays, and volunteer days off
- RSU stock grants
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours, free food, and fun team building activities
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Recharge, reenergize, and pursue personal and professional goals with a 30 day paid leave after 5 years
*may vary by country - please reach out to your recruiter for more information
To learn more about Fivetran's benefits by region - click here.
We’re honored to be valued at over $5.6 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Get Stuck In, Do the Right Thing, and One Team, One Dream. Read about us in Forbes.
Fivetran brings together high-quality talent across the globe to make data access as easy and reliable as electricity for our customers. We value and recognize that our customers benefit from having innovative teams made of people from many backgrounds, experiences and identities. Fivetran promotes diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging through attracting, recruiting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, not only because it is the right thing to do, but because it helps us build a world-class company to better serve our customers, our people and our communities.
To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.