Software Engineer II - Databases
From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
About the Role
Fivetran is building data pipelines to power the modern data stack for thousands of companies. We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our core platform team and perform a healthy mix of design and implementation tasks to advance the technical foundation behind the Fivetran product offering.
As an engineer in the Database Group, focusing on capturing data from relational databases, you will contribute to the entire software development lifecycle for the capabilities critical to making our largest enterprise customers successful. You will collaborate with engineers across the engineering organisation as we identify opportunities for product improvements. You will be responsible for ensuring the technical excellence of your team and own services by reviewing code and contributing to architectural designs.
A successful candidate will be humble enough to collect diverse input and build consensus, experienced and confident enough to be decisive when needed, and practical enough to build and iterate on the system while it’s in production. We are also looking for a high level of expertise and productivity in modern software development environments.
This is a full-time position based out of our Novi Sad, but we also welcome remote applicants from other EU countries where Fivetran operates.
Technologies You’ll Use
- C, BigQuery, Databricks, Snowflake
- IBM DB2 (LUW, iSeries or z/OS),
- SAP HANA Postgres, Oracle, SQL Server,
- Docker, Kubernetes, GCP, Azure, AWS, Bazel
What You’ll Do
- Learn deeply about Fivetran to focus development on practical and relevant system improvements
- Contribute to the development and planning of our platform roadmap
- Collaborate with a small but mighty core team and with a broader set of stakeholders
- Work across the project lifecycle: requirements, design, prototype, implementation, review, release, monitoring
- Review and approve technical design documents and pull requests
- Mentor other senior members of the team on their challenges
- Care and feel ownership of our product platform, and leverage your skills towards improving it
Skills We’re Looking For
- You are execution-oriented and understand the need to target your “innovation budget” for the most significant impact: you find the middle ground between “perfect but takes forever to code” and “fixes it now, but nobody will ever be able to understand what I did”
- You know how to design and code systems and software that is effective, intuitive, easy to operate, and elegantly simple
- You have knowledge and experience in Relational Databases, SQL language, and DBMS call-level interface (e.g. ODBC or Oracle OCI). Knowledge of IBM DB2 (LUW, iSeries or z/OS) or SAP HANA is a strong plus.
- Knowledge of DBMS internals, such as the transaction logging system, is a strong plus. Diving down into the nitty-gritty innards of database systems does not scare you - in fact, you welcome the challenge of wrestling every last secret from them
- You have worked with the relevant tooling and techniques: cloud services, network protocols, serialisation, etc.
- You are skilled at communicating technical topics and risks to both technical and non-technical audiences
- You are adept at inclusive alignment discussions: balancing soliciting input with influencing peers and advocating for yourself
- You know complex structures, object orientation, exceptions, and memory management techniques.
- Experience with data replication, ETL/ELT tools, cloud and software-defined infrastructure tools (for instance, AWS Cloud Formation, Kubernetes, Docker), API technologies and analytics is a plus.
Perks and Benefits
- 100% employer-paid medical insurance*
- Generous paid time-off policy (PTO), plus paid sick time, inclusive parental leave policy, holidays, and volunteer days off
- RSU stock grants
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours, free food, and fun team building activities
- Monthly cell phone stipend
*may vary by country - please reach out to your recruiter for more information
To learn more about Fivetran's benefits by region - click here.
We’re honored to be valued at over $5.6 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Get Stuck In, Do the Right Thing, and One Team, One Dream. Read about us in Forbes.
Fivetran brings together high-quality talent across the globe to make data access as easy and reliable as electricity for our customers. We value and recognize that our customers benefit from having innovative teams made of people from many backgrounds, experiences and identities. Fivetran promotes diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging through attracting, recruiting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, not only because it is the right thing to do, but because it helps us build a world-class company to better serve our customers, our people and our communities.
To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.
Something looks off?